Friday, March 28, 2008

Project Say Something: Burning Down the House


Why is it, my sister’s questions always make me rethink how I do things? How rude.

“Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire; after saving your loved ones, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any ONE item. What would it be?”

I have to admit, all of my life I have had an intense fear of my house burning down. Yes, I’m materialistic, but that’s not it. It’s the sentimentality of it all. Though, right now, if I my stuff were out of the house, I’d say sayonara, sucker! Burn, baby, burn! I’d finally be able to get out of the damn thing. (I am KIDDING! I do not want my house to burn down with or without my stuff. Okay, universe? Did you get that disclaimer? It was a joke!)

But if it did, and my stuff was going up in flames with it, I would be screwed because the one thing I know I would want to go back in and get is up the stairs, around the banister, down the hall and in the very back bedroom. Yes, I would be going down with the house if I went back in for it. This is where my sister has made me rethink how I do things.

I would want to save my binder of CDs that have all of my pictures on them. Sure, I would be losing all the pictures before I went digital but these are Madeleine’s entire life. I’m sure there should be something else I would rather save, but that’s the only thing I can really come up with right now. So instead of storing them in the worst possible place in the house, I have decided to move them to the bookshelves in the front room. With my camera. So I can cheat. If I have time to grab one, I have time to grab the other. Which means I might as well store my computer there too. And the baby books. And my jewelry. And shoes. And… I’m kidding. Really just the pictures. The memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment