Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Project Say Something: Just a Small Gesture



No matter what you do, no matter what precautions you take, cancer can still sneak up on you and kick your ass. No matter who you are or where you are. There is no preventing, no predicting, no choice you make will impact the outcome. (Of course, you can choose to help it along – smoking, tanning – but for the most part, you won’t have a clue.)

My answer surprises me actually. I have always had a form of compassion for the AIDS epidemic, it has quite an effect on my emotions and my heart goes out to anyone who is a victim of it. And women and children of war – I can’t even begin to go into the emotions there. And of course they can’t help where they are, they didn’t choose it. But other humans did. Cancer picks its victims so blindly. It closes its eyes and points, “you, you and well… maybe not you, but oh yes, definitely you.” I guess I always feel better when there are “reasons” for things. Diseases that have no reason are the most difficult to bear. So I choose cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment