Thursday, November 13, 2008

Project Say Something: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. ...Yeah, So Doesn't Work for Me


So.... I really can't. Dan and I grew up in the same small town, went to all of the same schools so I know we knew of each other ages before we knew each other. Instead, all I have are some of the first memories I have of him. He says Chemistry when I was a junior in high school. All I remember about Chemistry is how much I hated it and how bad I was at it, not some geeky guy who would always try to sit by me. No, my first real memory of him was at the end of my junior year when I was half-assed running for Student Body President for my senior year. We were in debate together and he had the brilliant idea of doing something with my campaign slogan to do with Jessica Rabbit. I don't remember what it was, just that he made some fliers and posters with the association - whatever it was - and hung them around the school. That was when we first started to get to know each other. Then, school ended and I came back as a senior and got completely wrapped up in someone else, so much so that no one else or nothing else existed so I have no memory of him whatsoever til after I graduated and we started hanging out in the same circle of friends late in the summer. I remember going over to his house with friends to watch movies and we just started talking and totally missed the movies and pretty much forgot anyone else was there. Though it was still a while before anything went anywhere. When did I realize I liked him? "Liked him" liked him? When a mutual friend was being an ass and making fun of him for giving me concert tickets and Dan said, "If you saw how miserable she was every day, you'd do something just to put a smile on her face too." (Which totally wasn't true, he wouldn't have, he was my arch nemesis, he wouldn't have done anything to make me smile, though he did admit I was one of the only things he'd ever sell his soul for - so... whatever. But that's neither here nor there.) That's when I thought, "Huh, maybe there IS more to this guy." Good lord. That was 15 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment